Mrs Susannah Millsom is the school’s Special Eductional Need and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo). She is available to speak with you about any aspect of your child’s special educational needs. Please contact her at school on 01778 347450 or email Susannah.Millsom@linchfield-cit.co.uk
What does the SENDCo do?
In conjunction with the Head Teacher and the governing body, the SENDCo supports staff in developing high quality teaching and the effective use of resources to bring about improved standards of achievement for pupils with special educational needs.
The SENDCo is responsible for ensuring that pupils with special or additional needs receive their full educational entitlement and have access to the whole curriculum.
Other responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEND policy.
- Acting as a role model for quality first teaching for all pupils and disseminating good practice in SEND across the school.
- Supporting teachers and teaching staff in the identification and implementation of the most effective teaching approaches for pupils with SEND.
- Co-ordinating provision for children with SEND and those who have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans.
- Advising on a graduated approach to providing additional SEND support
- Liaising with parents of children with SEND and listening to their views.
- Developing links with early years providers, other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies.
- Building links with other schools to ensure a young person with SEND and his/her parents are informed about options and a smooth transition to secondary education is planned.
- Working with the Head Teacher and school governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010 with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements.
- Working alongside our designated SEND Governor and reporting on the effectiveness of SEND provision.
- Devising and monitoring Health Care Plans in conjunction with the class teacher and parents.
- Providing support and training for all staff in areas of SEND.
- Ensuring that the school keeps the records of all children with SEND up to date.